The Transitional Return to Work (TRTW) program supports employees with a temporary illness or injury by providing return to work opportunities and temporary accommodations in a safe and timely manner.
The Transitional Return to Work program allows employees with temporary work restrictions to continue working or return to work while healing from an injury or illness. The program will provide temporary, modified, or alternate work assignments when an employee is unable to perform their regular job duties. This temporary accommodation is provided for up to 90 days (extended on a case-by-case basis) while the employee is recovering from an in jury or illness. Transitional work has benefits for both the employee and the department.
Benefits to Employees:
- Supported during recovery
- Minimize loss of wages
- Maintain social and peer work relationships
- Continue to provide valued work
- Reduce potential for re-injury and quicker recovery
- Opportunity to gain new skills and work experience
- Employee Example: Currently, you work in a position that requires standing and walking the majority of your shift and you have an injury to your leg. While your leg injury heals you may temporarily work in a sedentary or seated position.
Benefits to the Department:
- Show good faith effort to accommodate while participating in the Interactive Process
- Maintain productivity
- Decrease staffing shortage
- Assistance with the completion of special projects
- Promote a positive, and supportive work environment
- Reduce overtime and temporary staffing costs
- Establish a win-win situation
- Department Example: Have an employee with temporary work restrictions assist in administrative duties such as filing or answering phones calls to maintain productivity.
Examples of Transitional Work Assignments:
- Phone Operator/Customer Service
- Record keeping/Filing
- Intake duties/Scheduling
- COVID-19 questions screening
- Computer based duties
- Front desk coverage
If you are currently experiencing an illness or injury and have temporary work restrictions, please email:
Department Supervisors and Managers
If you are currently seeking help in your department on a temporary basis please complete the following form: https://forms.gle/DyduU1K7nNAVUaJ5A
If you have an employee who may need temporary accommodations that your department is unable to accommodate, please complete the following form: https://forms.gle/a6C9SfHZwDK957mRA
Still need help? Email the appropriate contact below.