If you have received a layoff notification, you may be going through a difficult time. Use the information below as a guide to help you manage the layoff situation.
Layoffs can be caused by lack of funding, lack of work, or department reorganization. The term "layoff" includes "reduction in time." For details, please see Types of Layoff.
As soon as you've received notification of layoff, take the following actions:
- Contact your department business office or an Employee Relations Consultant to learn about your rights and responsibilities.
- Don't hesitate to contact UCD's Academic & Staff Assistance Program (ASAP) for practical advice on getting through this emotionally difficult time.
- Check the resources available to you for career development, finding a new job, and other essential topics.
- Contact your HR Benefits Department to learn how a layoff will affect your benefits, benefits options available to you, and important deadlines.
To find out about your rehire rights, please review the following items:
- Preferential Rehire and Recall Rights
- How to Use Your Preferential Rehire Status (PDF)
- In lieu of preferential rehire and recall rights, you may be eligible for severance.
If you have questions about the layoff process, please contact Employee Relations, (530) 754-8892.
Notice: The information on this page summarizes provisions of university policies and/or collective bargaining agreements. Refer to the Personnel Policies for Staff Members (PPSM) or applicable collective bargaining agreement for full text of referenced information.