Your Health Care Facilitator Program specializes in troubleshooting the use of UC health plans—and coordinating them with Medicare
2024 UC Medical Plans
Employee Open Enrollment ended at 5 p.m. PST on Friday, 11/17/2023. Retiree Open Enrollment ended at 5 p.m. PST on Monday, 11/27/2023.
Even though enrollment is no longer open, the HCF Program is here to help you with video explanations of the plans, rate calculating tools for retirees, a tool that shows medical plan availability across California and beyond, and more:
How much? Medical plan premiums for 2024:
- Employee rates
- Note: The UC Blue & Gold HMO rates on the UCnet website are NOT the rates for UC Davis and ANR employees.
- Retiree rates: 2024 UC Retiree Premium Estimator [Excel]
- FAQs about the rate increases for 2024
Where? Regional medical plan availability:
The 2024 UC Medical Plan Availability Tool [Excel] indicates plan availability by ZIP code and county.
Which? Compare medical plans side-by-side:
- Which medical plan is right for you? [PDF] (Employees & Retirees)
- Which Medicare plan is right for you? [PDF] (Retirees with Medicare)
Who? Local Davis/Sacramento medical provider availability by plan:
- More On UC Medical Plans [PDF]; lists all major local medical groups.
- UC Davis Medical Group is available through all non-Kaiser plans
- Anthem Blue Cross PPOs:
- Health Net: UC Blue & Gold HMO (Urban CA only.)
- Kaiser Permanente/Senior Advantage (HMO) (Urban CA only.)
- UnitedHealthcare: UC Medicare Choice (Medicare Advantage PPO)
How to get more information? UCnet health plan phone numbers and web addresses
- Anthem Blue Cross (non-Medicare) | Anthem Blue Cross (retirees with Medicare)
- Health Net
- Kaiser Permanente
- Optum behavioral health (Access Code: 11280) (Non-Medicare Kaiser members only.)
- UnitedHealthcare (Medicare retirees only)
- Via Benefits (Age 65+ Medicare-eligible retirees with home addresses outside California only; all covered family members must have Medicare.)
- Delta Dental
- Vision Service Plan for Active Employees
- Vision Service Plan for Retirees
Open Enrollment booklets
- Faculty & Staff [PDF]
- Information booklet [PDF]
- Retiree Open Enrollment booklet [PDF] for California retirees
UC/Anthem contract termination does not affect UC employee/retiree medical plans
Anthem Blue Cross has terminated its agreement with UC Health, including UC Davis Health. If a new agreement is not in place by February 29, 2024, UC Davis Health will be considered out-of-network for (non-UC) Anthem Blue Cross members beginning January 1, 2024.
Per UC Davis Health: This termination does not affect the in-network availability of UC Health facilities and providers for UC employees, UC students with UC SHIP coverage, UC medical residents and fellows in the PPO plan or UC retirees. Their health plans are governed by separate UC-Anthem agreements.
UC considers changes to retiree health contributions
A Retiree Health Benefits Working Group has been formed to provide input regarding reductions and/or changes in strategy toward UC's contributions to retiree health coverage. More information can be found on UCnet.
See the UC Davis Retiree Center site for updates on the Working Group.
UC simplifies retiree health benefits rules
To simplify administration and respond to the concerns of newer employees hired before 7/1/2013, UC changed the eligibility rules for retiree health benefits.
Did You Know?
Most of the medical plans that the university offers to employees and retirees cover 30-day supplies of prescription drugs for a flat copayment. However, if you take medications on an ongoing basis, you can save money by using University of California pharmacies. At UC pharmacies, you can get 90-day supplies of your drugs for two copayments — you pay 1/3 less!
If you are enrolled in some of the Anthem Blue Cross plans (UC Care, UC High Option, UC Medicare PPO); UC Blue & Gold HMO (Health Net) or UC Medicare Choice (UnitedHealthcare):
UC Davis outpatient pharmacies (in Davis and Sacramento).
Don't live near a UC pharmacy? You can get the same two co-payment deal for 90-day supplies through some plans at certain local retail pharmacies and/or through your plan's mail order pharmacy.
UC Blue & Gold HMO (Health Net): Local CVS pharmacies
UC Care (Anthem Blue Cross): Local Costco, CVS, Safeway/Vons, Walgreens, and Walmart pharmacies
UC High Option (Anthem Blue Cross): Local Costco, CVS, Safeway/Vons, Walgreens, and Walmart pharmacies
UC Medicare PPO (Anthem Blue Cross): Local Costco, CVS, Safeway/Vons, Walgreens, and Walmart pharmacies
UC Medicare Choice (UnitedHealthcare): Local Costco, CVS, Rite Aid, Safeway, Target, Walmart, and Walgreens pharmacies
Click here for medical plan contact information. Log on to your plan's website as a member to access links to their mail order pharmacy programs.