Postdoctoral and Visiting Scholars are eligible for health and welfare benefits including medical, dental, vision, life and disability.
Postdocs appointed in any of the following title codes are eligible for the Postdoc Scholar Benefits Plan (PSBP): 3252, 3253, 3254, 3255 or 3256. The Period of Initial Eligibility (PIE) during which the Postdoc must enroll in these health plans is 31 days from the date of appointment or the date of email notification from UC Path - whichever is later. Coverage will be retroactive to the date of appointment.
Family member eligibility requirements are the same as the family member eligibility requirements for the University of California Faculty and Staff plans. The major family member eligibility categories are the following:
- Natural or adopted child or children to age 26 for medical plans (unless eligible to continue coverage because of disability). Adult age children are not eligible to enroll if they are eligible for their own employer-sponsored plan.
- Same-sex domestic partner
- Opposite-sex domestic partner (per AB205)
Note: When two family members are employed through the UC, duplicate coverage is not allowed.
Add Eligible Family Member:
You must enroll newly eligible dependents to your PSBP Health Plans within 31 days of the qualifying life status event.
Qualifying Life Status Events
- Domestic partnership establishment/termination
- Family member(s) arrival in the U.S.
Enrollment is never automatic. Enroll eligible dependents within the 31 day PIE by contacting the UC Path Center. You may also email the UC Davis Employee Benefits office at email@example.com for assistance.
Postdoc Scholars are automatically enrolled in the following:
- Life-Accidental Death and Dismemberment
- Repatriation and Medical Evacuation (of particular importance to J-1 and J-2 Visa Holders, satisfies the J Visa Program)
- Short Term Disability
- Workers Compensation
Postdocs can also voluntarily enroll in the supplemental Long Term Disability Plan during the Period of Initial Eligibility (PIE).