• How can I view a summary of my current health & welfare benefits enrollments?
  • Employees may obtain a summary of their health and welfare benefit enrollment selections from the At Your Service Online web site.

    This feature not only shows in what plans the employee is enrolled, but reflects UC contributions and employee costs as well. Plans in which the employee is not enrolled will also appear on the summary.

  • How do I add a new family member to my insurance?
  • To enroll a newly-eligible family member, you must submit form UPAY 850 to the Benefits Office within your period of initial eligibility (PIE). Your PIE is 31 calendar days and begins on the date of the qualifying event. It ends on the last business day of that 31-day period. For additional information, please see the Group Insurance Eligibility Factsheet.

    When completing the form, adhere to the following guidelines:

    1. Complete Section 1.
    2. Under Section 2, check appropriate box and complete the Comments section if requested.
    3. Under Section 4, qualifying additions to the family allow an employee to enroll into or increase coverage for Supplemental Life.
    4. Under Section 4, qualifying additions to the family allow an employee to enroll the new family member into Dependent Life.
    5. Under Section 5, list only the family member to be added. Other family members already enrolled need not be listed.

    - Circle "E" for Enroll.
    - Enter date of event. For example; birth, adoption or marriage/partnership date.
    - Enter family member's name, sex, relationship and birth date.
    - SSN is only required for spouse or domestic partner.
    - Indicate plans to which family member is to be added.
    - Enter primary care physician information as appropriate*.
    - Sign and date form.

    *If you are adding your new family member to your medical plan and you are enrolled in Health Net Blue & Gold or Western Health Advantage, you will need to designate a Primary Care Physician for that dependent. You may search for doctors (and their corresponding identification numbers) using the internet; see your medical plan's website.
  • How do I change my primary care physician (PCP)
  • You may call your Medical Plan's toll-free telephone number and request the change. (You can find the number on your plan's ID card.) Most plans will allow you to change your Primary Care Physician (PCP) once per month and change medical groups at least once per year; contact your medical plan for more information and to make the change.

    When requesting a PCP change, be sure to confirm with the carrier when the change will become effective. Most plans will allow the change effective the first of the next month if the request is made by the 15th of the current month.

    If you would like to see a listing of doctors for your plan, you may search for doctors (and their corresponding ID numbers) online; see your medical plan's website.

    Click here for tips on choosing your doctor.

  • How do I enroll in or make changes to disability coverage?
  • To enroll or move to a shorter waiting period

    If you did not enroll in Supplemental Disability when you were first eligible, you may apply to enroll through the Statement of Health process (see below). Your application  is subject to review by the insurance carrier and may be approved or denied.

    The cost of coverage is based on your age, salary rate and the waiting period you choose. The insurance premium calculator on the At Your Service website can help you calculate the monthly cost for the different waiting periods. Click here for more information.

    If you are already enrolled in Supplemental Disability and wish to shorten your waiting period, you must  also apply through the Statement of Health process, which the carrier can approve or deny.  If you wish to lengthen your waiting period, you may do so at any time.

    Statement of Health (SOH) Process (to enroll outside of PIE or to shorten your waiting period)

    To initiate the SOH process, complete and submit to the Benefits Office a UPAY 850 form:

    • Section 1: complete all requested information
    • Section 2: check the box for Statement of Health
    • Section 4 Supplemental Disability: check whether the action is to enroll or change waiting period, and check the box for your chosen waiting period
    • Sign and date form

    Submit the completed form to the campus Benefits Office by mail or fax (530-752-1993).

    Upon receipt of a completed UPAY 850 form, the Benefits Office will send you an Evidence of Insurability form for you to complete and submit directly to the disability insurance carrier.  After completing their review (generally 4-6 weeks), the carrier will notify you and the Benefits Office of their decision. If your request is approved, the Benefits Office will process the enrollment/change upon receipt of the carrier approval.

    To move to a longer waiting period

    If you are already enrolled and wish to move to a longer waiting period, you may do so at any time. Complete and submit to the Benefits Office a UPAY 850 form.
    Section 1: complete all requested information
    Section 2: write "Change waiting period" in Comments
    Section 4 Supplemental Disability: check action box for "Change Waiting Period", and check box for your chosen waiting period.
    Sign and date form

    Please be aware that Supplemental Disability premiums are paid at the end of the month (arrears), so approved changes will generally not appear until the month following the enrollment or change.

    Disability Insurance - more detail on the At Your Service website
    Insurance Premium Calculator - calculate the monthly cost for the various waiting periods

  • How do I remove a family member from my insurance?
  • Complete a UPAY 850 form, indicating the dependent you wish to remove. Send it to your Benefits Office.

    You may remove a dependent from your insurance at any time.

    If your dependent has lost eligibility involuntarily (i.e. due to divorce, marriage or change in tax dependency), you must also complete a UBEN 109. The dependent may be eligible to continue coverage under COBRA. The Benefits Office will provide the COBRA packet directly to the dependent.

    See the Group Insurance Eligibility Factsheet for information about dependent eligibility.
  • How do I opt-out of or cancel an insurance plan?
  • Complete a UPAY 850 form, indicating the plan(s) you wish to opt-out of or cancel. Send it to your Benefits Office.

    Do I opt-out or cancel?




    Medical, Dental

    If covered under another non-UC employer group insurance plan

    For religious reasons

    If covered as a dependent
    of another UC employee or retiree

    For other reasons


    If covered under another non-UC employer group insurance plan

    For religious reasons

    If covered as a dependent
    of another UC employee or retiree

    Cancellation is not an option

    Legal, Life, Dependent Life, Disability, AD&D

    Opt out is not an option

    To terminate participation

  • Will I receive ID cards for my insurance plans: if so, when?
  • ID cards for the medical plans are generated by the insurance plan and are mailed to the employee's permanent address, as reflected on the payroll system. Generally, ID cards should arrive within 6-8 weeks after you enroll.

    ID cards will not be provided for the Delta Dental PPO dental or VSP vision plans. DeltaCare USA does send ID cards. Your dental and vision providers will work directly with the insurance plan to verify eligibility and process claims. Should you need to carry proof of coverage, check the plan's website to determine if a printed id/facsimile is available.

  • How do I estimate my pension?
  • Automatically generated UC Retirement Plan pension (and lump sum cash out) estimates are available by logging on to At Your Service Online. (Click on "View Your Retirement Estimates.") This estimator will also report your current UC Retirement Plan service credit.

    Related Resources:
    UCD Retirement and Savings
    UC Retirement Plan information
    University of California Retirement Handbook

  • How do I find out more about my retirement and savings options?
  • The easiest way to learn about the retirement and savings plans is to attend one of our Benefits Presentations. At our Retirement Planning classes, our Analysts walk you through the sometimes complex options you have as an employee in order to help you plan for the future.

    You can also follow these links to helpful information:
    - Fidelity Retirement Services Presentations
    - UCOP HR/Benefits Retirement & Savings Resources

  • I have questions about the DC, 403(b) and 457(b) plans
  • While UC is the administrator of the Retirement Savings Program, Fidelity Retirement Services provides the record keeping and account services.

    To take any of these actions:

    Begin, change or review your contributions.
    See your balances.
    Exchange (transfer) funds.
    View fund performance.
    Designate or change your DCP,
    403(b) or 457(b) beneficiaries.
    Apply for a 403(b) Plan loan.
    View your 403(b) Plan loan balance.
    Elect distributions (certain limitations apply).

    Visit: http://netbenefits.com

    or call Fidelity Retirement Services





    General Guidelines for Voluntary Contributions

    You may contribute as much as you like on a monthly basis, provided that enough pay remains for any mandated taxes and other deductions. Your contributions will automatically stop for the current tax year when you reach your Maximum Contribution Limit. Please be aware that if your contributions automatically stop mid-tax year, they will resume at the start of the next tax year unless you cancel them.

    The 2040 Contribution Limits for the 403(b) and 457(b) Plans are:
    - $17,500 - Employees under age 50 in 2014
    - $23,000 - Employees age 50 or older by December 31, 2014

    The 2014 Social Security wage base will be $117,000.

    Contribution changes to the 403(b) Plan made during the current month will take effect with that month's payroll, subject to processing deadlines. For example, a change made on August 10th will be reflected on the September 1 paycheck. As a general rule for employees paid monthly, 403(b) Plan changes made by the 15th of the month should be in time to affect your next paycheck. Changes made after this day, may or may not affect your next paycheck.

    Contribution changes to the 457(b) Plan made during the current month are effective with the following month's payroll. For example, a change made on August 10th will be reflected on the October 1 paycheck.

    For additional questions and answers for basic information regarding the UC Retirement Savings Programs:
    - Retirement Savings Program
    - Fidelity Retirement Services
  • How do I change my address with the University?
  • You may update your home address and telephone number electronically using At Your Service Online.

    You should also notify your department so that departmental records may be updated. Once your address has been updated through the University, your insurance companies will be notified electronically. 

  • How do I change my tax withholding status?
  • You may update your tax marital status, personal and withholding allowances, and additional tax withholdings online using At Your Service Online.

    You may also obtain a Withholding Allowance Certificate, form UC W-4 from your department or online at http://accounting.ucdavis.edu/Forms/PR_W42009.doc. You will need to complete the form and return it to your department for entering into the Payroll System. Once your department has key-entered the form, it is sent to the Payroll Division

  • How do I designate or change beneficiaries?
  • You may designate or change beneficiaries for the following using At Your Service Online:
    - Retirement: University of California Retirement Plan (UCRP); Basic Death Benefit; Capital Accumulation Provision (CAP)
    - Insurance: Basic/Core Life; Senior Management Life; Supplemental Life; Accidental Death & Dismemberment; Business Travel  

    If you are unable to use online application, you may complete the Designation of Beneficiary-Employee - UBEN 116 and submit it to the address listed in the upper right hand corner of the form.

    Once UC HR/Benefits accepts the new designation, all previous designations are invalid. UC HR/Benefits will confirm the changes either by e-mail to your UC work address or by written notice to your home address. 

    You are automatically the beneficiary for family members who are covered under your Expanded Dependent Life and/or AD&D insurance plans. However, you may name someone else to receive benefits if a covered family member dies by completing the Designation of Alternate Beneficiary-Expanded Dependent Life and AD&D Insurance - UBEN 119 and submitting it to the address listed in the upper right hand corner of the form.

    Designating beneficiaries for the following plans may be done directly through Fidelity Retirement Services NetBenefits:
    - Defined Contribution Plan (Pretax and After-Tax)
    - Tax-Deferred 403(b) Plan
    - 457(b) Deferred Compensation Plan

    Please Note: Changes in your family situation - for example, marriage or divorce - do not automatically alter or revoke your existing beneficiary designations.

    A beneficiary designation remains valid until you submit a new one.

    You should review your beneficiary designations for your retirement and insurance plans whenever there is a change in your family situation.
    You should also notify UC HR/Benefits (either online or by submitting a new form) and/or Fidelity Retirement Services if a beneficiary changes his or her address.