Child Care Options:
Health Campus/Sacramento Location
- PDF How to Find Childcare – Local UC Davis-focused resource
- New Childcare Center on Folsom for UCD affiliates
Licensed Child Care Located in the Community
There are a variety of child care settings from which to choose, depending upon your needs. You are best qualified to judge which setting will be most appropriate for your family. These include child care centers, family child care homes, nursery schools, cooperatives, playgroups and recreation programs licensed by the state to serve infants through school-age children.
- Child Action Child Care referral system Lists of all licensed local childcare (Family Child Care Homes and Child Development Centers) in the Sacramento area. Children with special needs referrals as well. Three quick ways to get assistance:
- Call their office at (916) 369-0191 to speak with a Child Care Specialist during our normal business hours. Child Action, Inc. has specialists available who speak English, Spanish, and Russian fluently who are able to provide you with a listing of providers as well as useful information to consider while selecting care. (takes less than 1 minute to speak to a local specialist).
- Email their office at firstname.lastname@example.org. To best meet your needs please enter “Child Care Referrals” in the subject line and let them know your address and/or zip code, age of child(ren), and hours care is needed. You will receive a referral list via your email within a day.
- Access the online referral services by clicking on the "Begin Child Care Search".
- This is the main resource designated by state licensing for finding openings at licensed small family home centers and large Child Development Centers.
- Elementary School Located CDC's: Privately owned and operated for school-age children are available at many area elementary schools. Catalyst Kids offers on-site care before and after school hours, on holidays and during summer. Most elementary school-based Child Development Centers are open during COVID. Catalyst Kids
Child Care within Your Home
This is care provided by babysitters, nannies and au pairs, who are considered domestic employees exempt from licensing. Background checks for criminal convictions and child abuse are available through Trustline Registry.
- Bright Horizons Enhanced Family Supports: Full subscription available to UC employees free of charge. This is an online subscription matching system to child care providers as well as discounts and preferred enrollment for employees.
- Carebubbles UC Davis has joined with UCSF and UC Berkeley in a Berkeley-based platform which provides a parent-to-parent resource to help UC community members meet their child care needs during the COVID-19 pandemic. Find other families looking to trade childcare, share tutors, create bubbles and more. Learn more and login using your UC Davis credentials at carebubbles.berkeley.edu
- Handshake through the UC Davis Internship and Career Center. Private employers looking for tutors, nannies, babysitters, etc. can create an account in Handshake and post directly on the website free of charge. Once you post a position, students can apply directly to the position. Instructions on setting up an account can be found at https://www.powtoon.com/c/cn8zrifrotP/1/m. In the posting process you have to post a website, feel free to post the WorkLife site as a placeholder.
- International Au Pair Association listings
Local Online Resources:
- UC Davis Health System Parent Resource Group can be used as a way to connect child care services.
- Sacramento Area Babysitter and Nanny Network Facebook Page/Connection page
- Sacramento Area Licensed Family Care Child Network Facebook page/Connection page
- Davis Parents Facebook page
- Davis Babysitter & Nanny Network for UCD, Davis, Woodland, Winters Facebook Page
- Nextdoor has many students who have posted child care availability.
- Many departments are using Slack to share/schedule child care with colleagues.
If you are interested in finding a community of parents, please join the Parents at UCD slack group: parentsatucd.slack.com
Other Online Options:
- Babysitting and Co-op apps/sites (not endorsed by UC Davis, simply listed for your convenience)
Subsidized Child Care Programs
- Sacramento Area Child Care Resource and Referral: Child Action
- Sacramento Head Start – Children and Family Services
- Sacramento Subsidized Preschools
Sacramento Area School Districts
- Sacramento City Unified School District
- San Juan Unified School District
- Elk Grove Unified School District
- El Dorado County Office of Education
- Placer County Office of Education
- Roseville City School District
- PDF How to Find Childcare Local UC Davis-focused resource
- Two Peas in a Pod UCDH blog
- Day Care 101: How to Chose the Best Day Care Facility for your Family What to Expect
- Quality Checklist for Choosing Child Care AAP
- Selecting a Child Care Program Child Care Aware.org
- Choosing Quality Child Care, Child Care Aware.org
- 8 Tips for Choosing Child Care, Parents Magazine
- Essential Child-Care Questions, What to ask. Parents Magazine