To address a shortage of available licensed childcare for local working families, UC Davis Health, SMUD and Sacramento State University have joined forces to create a new child care center in Sacramento.
Details and FAQs:
- When will the new center be opening?
- We are anticipating an early 2021 opening date for the new Child Development Center (CDC).
- Where will the center be located?
- The new CDC will be located at 6011 Folsom Blvd., Sacramento. We are referring to it as the "Folsom Boulevard Child Care Center" until a proper name has been determined. The center will be 17,000 square feet with an additional 15,000 square feet of outdoor space. The building is owned by University Enterprises, Inc. (UEI), a nonprofit auxiliary organization of Sacramento State that creates and manages programs and services for the college. SMUD has signed a 15 year lease on the property and SMUD, Sacramento State and UC Davis Health will share costs equally. Tenant improvements began in early fall 2019 and are expected to take approximately 15 months.
- Who will operate the center?
- SMUD will conduct a Request for Proposals (RFP) in the near future to establish an operator. The new CDC will be operated by an independent Child Development Center provider and will be required to be NAEYC (National Association for the Education of Young Children) accredited per operator agreement and partner contract. NAEYC accreditation is the gold standard in child care and determines teacher/child ratios, safety standards, teacher administration and development, and high-quality educational standards.
- How many child care slots will be available for UC Davis?
- UC Davis will have an estimated 69 child slots, 1/3 the total anticipated number of slots (207) for the center shared between SMUD, Sacramento State, and UC Davis. The slots will be split equally by age range. All UC Davis affiliate families currently enrolled at the current SMUD owned Lighthouse Center will be guaranteed a space at the new facility.
- What will be the UC Davis list priority?
- After existing UC Davis children currently at the closing Lighthouse center are placed, there will be equal priority for UC Davis affiliates. Affiliates are defined as any personnel or student with an active student or employee ID including students, residents, fellows, post-docs, faculty, staff and visiting scholars. Waitlists will be managed by the operator. After UC Davis affiliates are served, any remaining slots will be offered to the other partners or the community.
- What date can interested parties get on the waitlist?
- We anticipate the waitlist will be open summer of 2020 after an opening date is determined. Information concerning the list will be made available at this site when determined.
- Will there be subsidized care?
- While the overall center will be subsidized by the SMUD/CSUS/UC Davis partnership to enable below-market tuition rates to their affiliates, individual rates will not be subsidized. Please note that UC Davis students are eligible for the Student Parent Child Care Program and can utilize those funds to assist in their payment to the center.
- Will there be back-up care?
- Yes, back-up care is included in the planning.
- What will be the hours of operation?
- Operating hours have not been determined. However, the particular needs of UC Davis Health staff, students and faculty will be taken into consideration.
- Where can I find updates and enrollment information?
- Updates will be posted here at WorkLife as information is established and shared through UC Davis Health internal communication channels.
Additional Child Care Resources & Subsidy Programs
- Sacramento Area Child Care Resource and Referral: Child Action
- Care Advantage (UC Davis discounts)
- Sacramento Head Start – Children and Family Services
- Sacramento Subsidized Preschools
- Sacramento City Unified School District
- San Juan Unified School District
- Elk Grove Unified School District
- El Dorado County Office of Education
- Placer County Office of Education
- Roseville City School District
- Choosing Quality Child Care, Child Care Aware.org
- 8 Tips for Choosing Child Care, Parents Magazine
- Essential Child-Care Questions, What to ask. Parents Magazine