Reading & Resource List
- Understanding Implicit Bias
A quick video with explanation and real-life examples of implicit bias, from McCombs School of Business.
- Assess Your Implicit Bias
Harvard's Project Bias offers an online assessment tool to measure implicit bias. Take it more than once for a more complete picture.
- Anti-Racism Resources
Extensive list of books recommended by Brené Brown's community.
- When and How to Respond to Microaggressions
Harvard Business Review, July 2020
For Supervisors & HR Professionals
Harvard Business Review (HBR) articles are currently available without a subscription.
- Is Your Company Actually Fighting Racism, or Just Talking About It?
Leaders must start by reckoning with their Black employees’ experiences at work. (HBR, June 2020)
- How Organizations Can Support the Mental Health of Black Employees
Few leaders have the skills and training to confront the trauma caused by racism. (HBR, June 2020)
- U.S. Businesses Must Take Meaningful Action Against Racism
Here’s what leaders can do today. (HBR, June 2020)
- How U.S. Companies Can Support Employees of Color Through the Pandemic
Though we say we’re all in this together, we’re not all in the same boat. (HBR, May 2020)
- Toward a Racially Just Workplace
Diversity efforts are failing Black employees. Here’s a better approach. (HBR, November 2019)
- “Dear White Boss…”
Unsaid words from a Black manager. (HBR, November 2002)
- Hiring Discrimination Against Black Americans Hasn’t Declined in 25 Years
A meta-analysis of job callback rates. (HBR, October 2017)
- Why Aren’t Black Employees Getting More White-Collar Jobs?
A look at U.S. cities shows progress has been slow and uneven. (HBR, February 2018)
- People Suffer at Work When They Can’t Discuss the Racial Bias They Face Outside of It
They become more disengaged and more likely to leave. (HBR, July 2017)
- Even at “Inclusive” Companies, Women of Color Don’t Feel Supported
This can prevent employees from connecting across ethnic and racial differences. (HBR, August 2019)
- Getting Over Your Fear of Talking About Diversity
Advice for leaders who are afraid of saying the wrong thing. (HBR, November 2019)
- Tips for Discussing Racial Injustice in the Workplace
Helpful communication models for discussing microaggressions. (SHRM, June 2020)
- How the Best Bosses Interrupt Bias on Their Teams
Strategies to foster equity and inclusion. (HBR, November 2019)
- How to Reduce Personal Bias When Hiring
Six steps you can implement. (HBR, June 2019)
- Why Diversity Programs Fail
And what works better for organizations. (HBR, July 2016)
- Taking Steps to Eliminate Racism in the Workplace
The countervailing force of racism often undermines efforts to build diverse and inclusive workplaces. (SHRM, October 2018)
- Numbers Take Us Only So Far
Facebook’s global director of diversity explains why stats alone won’t solve the problem of organizational bias. (HBR, November 2017)
Have any feedback you would like to share or resource you would like added? Please contact Ann Foley.