The University recognizes the importance of family and the difficulties employees face following the death of a family member or another person close to the employees
For non-represented staff, covered by Personnel Policies for Staff Members (PPSM), the following conditions apply:
- Death of a family or household member: In the event of the death of an employee’s family member or of a person residing in the employee’s home, the employee may take up to ten (10) days of accrued sick leave.
- Death of any other person: In the event of the death of an individual who is not an employee’s family or household member, the employee may take up to five (5) days of accrued sick leave in a calendar year.
- Additional unpaid leave: If an employee requires more than the time allowed for bereavement leave, he/she may request an unpaid personal leave of absence or may use any accrued vacation, PTO (if applicable), and/or compensatory time off, if available.
For further information regarding bereavement leave, check PPSM 2.210 - Absence From Work Policy
For represented staff, covered by a union contract:
- For CUE, AFSCME, AFT (LX), UPTE, FUPOA covered employees should review the sick leave policy in their applicable contract for details regarding bereavement leave.
- For CNA, AFT (IX), UAW, FF covered employees should review the leaves of absence policy in their applicable contract for details regarding bereavement leave.
For more information employees should contact their union representatives or contact Employee & Labor Relations at 530-754-8892.