If you are summoned to jury duty, we encourage you to fulfill your civic, court-related obligations within university policy.
An employee summoned to required Jury Duty must provide a copy of the summons to his/her supervisor upon request.
For non-represented staff, covered by Personnel Policies for Staff Members (PPSM) the following applies:
- Employees are required to report back to work as soon as possible after they are released from jury duty, unless there are less than two (2) hours remaining in their scheduled workday, in which case they should report to work on their next scheduled workday. Not returning in a timely manner may be considered an unexcused absence.
- Employees may be required to provide documentation from the court showing time served.
- An employee who serves on a jury on a holiday observed by the University due to required jury duty is eligible for holiday pay but does not receive an alternate day off.
Exempt Employees: will continue to receive their University salary during required jury duty. However, exempt employees are expected to do what they reasonably can to maintain continuity of operations while on jury duty (e.g., keep in contact with supervisors, work on nights and weekends as needed).
Non-Exempt Career Employees: will receive pay for actual time spent on required jury duty and related travel, not to exceed the pay for the employee’s normal workday and the normal workweek. On occasion, an employee may be asked to work after serving on jury duty that day, if available. Those who do so will receive pay for hours worked, including overtime when required by law. Supervisors should attempt to redistribute workload so that the employee is not asked to work additional hours, except in emergencies.
For information regarding leave for jury duty and grand jury duty check PPSM 2.210 - Absence From Work Policy
For represented staff, covered by a union contract:
- Employees should review the leave policy in their applicable contract for details regarding jury duty.
- For more information employees should contact their union representatives or contact Employee & Labor Relations at 530-754-8892.