Improving service to employees and departments across UC Davis
Employee and Labor Relations (ELR) recently commenced a structural reorganization designed to improve the team's ability to serve employees and departments across UC Davis. This reorganization includes increasing ELR staffing, especially at the UC Davis Health campus, both in central ELR and in Disability Management Services (DMS).
Want to find your Unit Consultant?
Please contact ELR:
UC Davis: 530-754-8892
UC Davis Health: 916-734-3362
Overview of Reorganization:
Current ELR staff will not be displaced, but some will transition to new roles. In the new model, the employee relations and labor relations functions will be split (as is the model at the Davis campus) to ensure ELR staff have sufficient time and resources to fully and efficiently serve our customers (please see the attached ELR Future State organizational design).
Under the new design, there will be a single manager over the employee relations function (providing direct support to employees and departments on personnel matters), and a single manager over the labor relations function (including grievance administration and labor negotiations). After completing these recruitments, we will post the new ER Consultant and LR Consultant positions. We hope to have completed all recruitments by mid-April, 2018.
Goals of Reorganization
- Improve timeliness of ELR support across UC Davis.
- Where appropriate, standardize ELR process and practices to ensure the consistent implementation of policies and collective bargaining agreements.
- Improve collaboration and communication with HR Business Partners and other stakeholders to support the provision of HR services to UC Davis.
Summary of Changes
- Split Employee Relations (ER) and Labor Relations (LR) consultant roles at UC Davis Health.
- Hire an ER Manager and an LR Manager to support the ELR team on both campuses.
- Increase the number of frontline ELR and DMS staff.
Outreach and Communications
One goal of this restructuring is to improve communication on ELR issues, which will include posting regular updates on this page throughout the course of the reorganization. ELR will also be distributing regular email updates and has posted video above from an Oct. 5 webinar that offered an update on our progress.