Setting performance standards, observing and providing feedback, and conducting appraisals enables you to achieve the best results through managing employee performance.
The process begins when you and the employee discuss future goals and objectives for the coming year. To do their best, staff members need to know that their contributions will be recognized and acknowledged. Managing performance and providing feedback is not merely a step in the disciplinary process, and shouldn't be viewed as an isolated event. Rather, it is an ongoing process that takes place throughout the year and may occur as often as you believe is necessary to acknowledge the employee for accomplishments, evaluate the employee's job satisfaction and to plan together for improved performance.
As the immediate supervisor, you play an important role; your closest interaction with the employee occurs at this level.
The goal of the performance appraisal process is to help employees feel:
- Positive about the job
- Motivated to do well and to develop
- Benefited by specific, constructive feedback
- Appreciated for specific contributions
- Informed about current and future performance objectives
- Involved as a participant in the process
ePerformance Template - Supervisor's View
Supervisors can view each section of the annual performance appraisal, along with tips for completing each required section.
- Download UC Davis Staff Annual Appraisal: Supervisor View (.doc)
- Access other ePerformance learning resources