Purchases Not Requiring Contracting Services (up to $9,999)
Automatic Purchase Orders
SSO can initiate an APO using the KFS requisition document for orders of supply items up to current APO threshold of $9999.99 (including tax and shipping), or for goods or services up to the APO dollar-limit from an existing agreement.
Examples of what an APO can do
- Purchase published and copyrighted materials, including subscriptions, periodicals and electronic media (no dollar limits).
- Be used for payment of utilities citing agreement.
- Purchase computers, tablets, and computer accessories below $10,000.00 or greater if using an agreement.
- General Purchase of Goods up to the APO Threshold.
Examples of what an APO cannot do
- Obtain services (consultation, installations, etc.) unless an established agreement is referenced.
- Purchase controlled substances
- Purchase an item with a restricted commodity code (see Restricted Commodity Codes below) unless an established agreement is referenced.
- Purchase an Asset (see Purchase Order Including an Asset below)
Purchasing Card (PCard)
The SSO can place orders for goods up to $9999.99 per supplier, per day using a Purchasing Card (Exceptions to this limit can be arranged as needed). Typically, a PCard can be used to obtain the same items that can be purchased using an APO.
Departments can order directly through UC Davis AggieBuy for any goods needed. Suppliers available in AggieBuy have a system-wide or local contract, with negotiated terms and pricing. However, the SSO also provides purchasing support via AggieBuy as the need arises.
Purchases For Goods That Require Routing to Contracting Services (restricted or over $9,999)
UC Davis Purchase Orders
For orders of goods that exceed $9,999.99 (or the APO limit set within a vendor agreement) including tax and shipping, the requisition will route to Procurement and Contracting Services for processing. Procurement and Contracting Services, as required, solicits competitive quotations and releases a purchase to the lowest responsible bidder meeting the required specifications.
Purchase Order Including an Asset (a single item of $5,000.00 or more)
Generally, equipment is classified as a free-standing item having an acquisition value of $5000.00 or higher, and a normal life expectancy of one year or longer. All purchased equipment items require that the user to clearly identify what the item is, to what department the equipment will belong, and where it will be located. This purchase type requires a custodial code, building and room number and the asset tags/serial numbers of any trade-ins. More information can be found at Accounting & Financial Services' Capital Assets webpage.
For Transactions At Or Above $100K:
- Source Justification & Price Reasonableness Justification and Individual Disclosure Statement - For Sole Source Transaction Totals At Or Above $50K (and At or Above $10K for Federally-Funded Purchase) and all Transactions over $100K
Orders with Restricted Commodity Codes
Certain items (e.g. controlled substances, hazardous materials, live animals, etc.), regardless of the dollar amount, will route through Procurement and Contracting Services unless an existing agreement is referenced. For combined orders containing unrestricted and restricted commodities, the requisition will route using the commodity with the strictest requirements. A way to determine if an item is restricted is to set the Restricted Item indicator to YES while doing a KFS Commodity code search.
With a Travel or Entertainment Component
SSO Purchasing can initiate a request to obtain a signature or to review the terms of a hotel, catering, or conference room reservation contract. Please see Agreements – Catering, Lodging, Event Agreement.
For registration fees to training events or conferences with no travel involved (online webinar or on campus training only) please refer to the Accounts Payable Registration (Non-Travel ) Page.
SSO Purchasing can also process registration fees for webinars and on-campus training using a Purchasing Card (PCard) if timely payment is required.