Guidelines for departments using volunteers.
Volunteer appointments without salary are to be utilized when an individual volunteers his/her assistance or services directly and under the supervision of the university without promise or expectation of compensation.
- Department should first determine the duties to be performed and determine if the volunteer is 18 or over. Note: minors (under the age of 18) require additional reviews, approvals, and parental permission.
- Review the need for a volunteer/without salary employee.
- Contact your department's Employment Consultant/Recruiter to discuss the circumstances and nature of the volunteer appointment and/or to identify potential interested candidates.
- Have the volunteer complete the Oath and Patent form. Keep this form in your department's personnel file.
- Complete the Volunteer Information Record form. Keep this form in your department's personnel file.
- In the event of a claim, Workers' Compensation will contact your department for the documentation.
Talent Acquisition Partner Responsibilities:
- Your department's Talent Acquisition Partner will respond to any inquiries and discuss the appropriateness of duties that may be performed by the volunteer.
- Policy & Procedure Manual 370-20, Workers' Compensation
- Policy & Procedure Manual 380-08, Volunteer Service
- Policy & Procedure Manual 290-60, Health and Safety
- Personnel Polices for Staff Members 21 Exhibit D, Appointment
- Guidelines for Conducting Background Check
- Background Check Worksheet and Background Check Authorization
- High School Student Minor Volunteer