If your unit is considering making workforce adjustments, using the guidance and resources on this page will help ensure employees are treated fairly, and with compassion and care.
If Workforce Changes Are Necessary
If you and your leadership are exploring workforce reductions, please:
- Consult your HR Business Partner
- Together, seek the guidance of Employee & Labor Relations
- Review the Guides & Web Pages Linked at left and below
Workforce Reduction Options
- Objective: Preserve Career Positions
- Consider Voluntary Measures First
- Explore Temporary Measures before Permanent
- Indefinite Layoffs are a Last Resort
Communicating Workforce Changes or Layoffs
Carefully plan your communications and show compassion and patience to affected employees.
- Telling the Employee
- Telling the Team
- Moving Forward
- Download Communicating Workforce Adjustments Guide (.pdf)
Putting People First...
Ask yourself the following before reducing your workforce:
- Have you explored other cost-saving measures?
- Can you end engagements with external consultant?
- Do you have vacant positions that can remain unfilled?
- Can you enact temporary reductions?
- Are employees aware?
- Can employees in targeted positions be reassigned, possibly through the Temporary Opportunities for Work (TOW) program?