Hiring Guidelines During COVID-19 Response
Recruiting, hiring and onboarding continue during the COVID-19 response.
UC Davis is still actively recruiting applicants we are committed to creating a safe, healthy recruiting experience for candidates and hiring managers.
Hiring managers, HR partners and Talent Acquisition are advised to utilize the following guidelines.
- Conduct all candidate interviews via video conference or telephone, if possible
- Check out these helpful learning resources for Zoom and WebEx
- Limit in-person interviews to final interviews, though it is acceptable to make an offer based solely on video interviews
- Ensure in-person interview locations allow for appropriate social distancing
- Advise the candidate not to attend the interview if they feel ill
- Use small interview panels - one to three members
Extend Offers & Start Dates:
- Continue hiring and making offers to the extent feasible
- Establish start dates in consultation with Talent Acquisition
- Advise candidates that start dates may shift in response to COVID-19 related closures or restrictions
- Hiring managers may choose to:
- Delay start dates where an applicant has COVID-19 or associated symptoms and cannot make the start date
- Withdraw an offer where an applicant has COVID-19 or associated symptoms and cannot make the start date. Based on current CDC guidance, this individual cannot safely enter the workplace
UC Davis Health
- The Health Service Channel facilitates the pre-employment processes remotely, including background check, drug screening, scheduling Employee Health screening and new hire paperwork.
- If a candidate is unable to complete any of the pre-employment process (background check, drug screening, Employee Health screening, new-hire paperwork) that may affect the start date, hiring managers will be notified by their Talent Acquisition Partner.
- New hires are still required to complete their Employee Health screening, but if ill, should call their recruiter and NOT attend the appointment.
- Service Channels will facilitate all pre-employment processes remotely, including onboarding.
- New hires will be notified in advance of any special instructions.
- Employees hired remotely will need to present their I-9 documents in person once the campus resumes normal operations.
UC Davis Health
- Non-nurses will attend the New Employee Welcome online, or it may be rescheduled.
- The 30-day requirement to attend will be extended until the rescheduled date.
- New Nurses to will continue to attend the New Employee Welcome on their first day as part of their New Nurse Onboarding and Training.
- For more new employee information, please visit: hr.ucdavis.edu/employees/new-employees/ucdhs
- Download the New Employee Resource Manual (.pdf)
- New hires are invited to the New Employee Welcome scheduled for July 23.
- Managers and Supervisors should access the Onboarding Toolkit Supervisors Guide: hr.ucdavis.edu/departments/learning-dev/toolkits/onboarding
Please contact Talent Acquisition or Service Channel Representative