- Newsletter Archive
Past editions of the Lactation Support Program Newsletter
- Fall 2017: Support at UC Davis
- Spring/Summer 2017: Returning to Work, Pump injuries
- Winter 2017: Travel While Breastfeeding
- Fall 2016 "Questions for Health Care Providers"
- Spring/Summer 2016 "Resources"
- Winter 2016 "Plastics"
- Fall 2015 "Accomplishing Breastfeeding Goals"
- Spring & Summer 2015 “Galactagogues” (a substance professing to promote lactation of increase milk production) FAQ: “What’s the best nipple to use when choosing a bottle for my breastfed baby?
- Winter 2015 “Role of Fathers/Partners in Breastfeeding Success”
- Fall 2014 “National Work & Family Month” LINK: “Make Breast Pumps not Suck” – MIT Media Lab Hackathon, LINK: “Miracle Food, Unraveling the Mysteries of Mother’s Milk” -- UCD collaboration of researchers, Fall 2014
- Spring & Summer 2014 “Human Milk Donor Banks”
- Winter 2014 “If Breastfeeding is so natural, why can it be so difficult?”
- Fall 2013 “University of California, Office of the President, Personnel Policy for Staff Members:PPSM84 “Accommodations for Nursing Mothers” LINK: “Breastfeeding Fraught with Early Challenges for Most First-time Mothers” – UCD researchers support ‘Continuum of Care’ for mothers wanting to breastfeed
- Spring & Summer 2013 “Expression of Milk – identifying and managing low milk supply”
- Winter 2013 “Yeast Infections”
- Fall 2012 “Breastfeeding and the Holidays” FAQ: “How do I know that my breastfed baby is getting enough milk?"
Recent Lactation News and Research:
- CDC Recommendations for Breastfeeding and COVID
- UC Davis News: Advancing Infant Health through Microbiome Restoration
- Nature.com: UC Davis Research August 2019 Clinical Research Article: Colonization by B. infantis EVC001 modulates enteric inflammation in exclusively breastfed infants.
- New York Times Op-Ed: The Bacteria Babies Need June 2018
- UC Davis News: Gut Microbes and Milk Compounds Tackle Childhood Malnutrition
- UC Davis Research: Breastmilk Reveals Clues for Health
- The Davis Enterprise: Breastfeeding Saves Mothers' Lives, too
- Outcomes of Breastfeeding versus Formula Feeding
Helpful Breastfeeding Videos & Information
- A Perfect Latch (video)
- Hand Expressing Milk (video)
- Maximizing Milk Production (video)
- Breastfeeding in the First Hour (video)
- Baby Guts Benefit from B. Infantis in Mother's Milk (video)
- Breastmilk Storage and Shipping
- The Well-Fed Baby Checklist
- Guidelines for Lactation Accommodation: summarizes UC Davis and UC Davis Health policies and guidelines for employees and supervisors
- Return to Work Guide for employees
- Breastfeeding Support & Services in the Greater Sacramento Area
- Promoting and Supporting Breastfeeding through Child Care Centers brochure
- UC Davis Pregnancy and Reproductive Hazards in the Workplace:
- Disability Management Services
- UC Davis Human Lactation Center
- Facebook Support Group: for graduate, undergraduate and professional student parents
- California WIC (Women, Infants and Children) Program
- Foods for Health Institute
- Postpartum Resources
- Nurse Home Visiting for Pregnant and Parenting Families, provides in-home visits and support for pregnant and parenting families. Yolo County Health & Human Services Agency 530-666-8340
- Sacramento Breastfeeding Helpline: 916-734-7591
- Yolo County Breastfeeding Warmline: 1-800-663-8685 (referral to local providers)
HealthCare Provider Resources
- Kaiser Permanente, Woodland HealthCare, WIC, and Communicare provide full lactation services to their healthcare subscribers. Davis Kaiser Womens' Health, call 530-757-7210 and ask for a nurse/lactation appointment.
- UC Davis Medical Group (2620 Covell Blvd) provides individual lactation appointments.
- Sutter Health provide varied lactation services dependent upon plan.
- Woodland Healthcare New Parent Support Group
On the Web
- La Leche League International
- Medela Recycles Program
- drmilk.org: specifically for breastfeeding doctors and medical students
- Milkstork: Resource for shipping breast milk during travel