Recognition and appreciation can come in many forms: a simple thank you, an award, an invite to lunch; and is equally important when coming from a colleague as when coming from a supervisor.
Peer-to-peer recognition is 35% more likely to have a positive impact on financial results than manager-only feedback. Good things happen when we feel valued by our teammates.
Everyone has a co-worker who does their job in such a way that you are able to do your job more effectively. You know who I’m talking about, the people who always have the answers and are there for you when you need them.
So, why not take a minute today to try some of these creative ways to give cheers to your peers:
- Random acts of kindness: Make it a point to not leave on Friday afternoon until you have performed an act of kindness. Help a coworker with a project, grab them a cup of coffee, or buy them lunch. Or, simply hold a door open for a stranger.
- Leave them a note: Write a secret note of thanks to your co-worker specifically describing what they do to deserve your praise.
- Send an eCard: Gratefulness.org has beautiful cards you can send. You do not get on a list (nor the recipient) when you use this free service (although they may go to Junk mail).
- Celebrate successes: When one of your coworkers reaches a goal or a milestone, do what you can to help them celebrate! Bake a cake, decorate their workspace: or sing a song of celebration.
- Become a Wellness Ambassador: Be the person in your office or unit to share healthy information for UC Davis employees. Get the news about the latest corporate fitness discounts, free workshops and free trainings. and spread the healthy news to your peers. Click here for more information.
- Write them up: Tell Your Team: If a coworker goes above and beyond, put it in writing and praise them in a group email or note!
- For those employees in Finance, Operations, and Administration (FOA): Look at the Employee Recognition and Reward Program Customer Service Champion Award. The program seeks to acknowledge the folks who go above-and-beyond to serve our customers. Nominate a Customer Service Champion by filling out an online form.
- Support them when they’re down: Consider how you can support co-workers under stress.