Recent Program Newsletters
Winter 2018: Lactation Room notes
- Lactation Newsletter Archive
Fall 2017: Support at UC Davis
Spring/Summer 2017: Returning to Work, Pump injuries
Winter 2017: Travel While Breastfeeding
Fall 2016 "Questions for Health Care Providers"
Spring/Summer 2016 "Resources"
Winter 2016 "Plastics"
Fall 2015 "Accomplishing Breastfeeding Goals"
Spring & Summer 2015 “Galactagogues” (a substance professing to promote lactation of increase milk production) FAQ: “What’s the best nipple to use when choosing a bottle for my breastfed baby?
Winter 2015 “Role of Fathers/Partners in Breastfeeding Success”
Fall 2014 “National Work & Family Month” LINK: “Make Breast Pumps not Suck” – MIT Media Lab Hackathon, LINK: “Miracle Food, Unraveling the Mysteries of Mother’s Milk” -- UCD collaboration of researchers, Fall 2014
Spring & Summer 2014 “Human Milk Donor Banks”
Winter 2014 “If Breastfeeding is so natural, why can it be so difficult?”
Fall 2013 “University of California, Office of the President, Personnel Policy for Staff Members:PPSM84 “Accommodations for Nursing Mothers” LINK: “Breastfeeding Fraught with Early Challenges for Most First-time Mothers” – UCD researchers support ‘Continuum of Care’ for mothers wanting to breastfeed
Spring & Summer 2013 “Expression of Milk – identifying and managing low milk supply”
Winter 2013 “Yeast Infections”
Fall 2012 “Breastfeeding and the Holidays” FAQ: “How do I know that my breastfed baby is getting enough milk?
Recent Lactation News and Research:
- CDC Recommendations for Breastfeeding and COVID
- Looming Maternal and Infant Health Crisis Study finds COVID-19 risk to vaccination and breastfeeding rates could trigger huge jump in medical spending and maternal mortality.
- UC Davis News: Advancing Infant Health through Microbiome Restoration
- Nature.com: UC Davis Research August 2019 Clinical Research Article: Colonization by B. infantis EVC001 modulates enteric inflammation in exclusively breastfed infants.
- New York Times Op-Ed: The Bacteria Babies Need June 2018
- Interview with Dr. Mark Underwood, UC Davis: CapRadio Insight Story on breastmilk and babies' microbiomes
- UC Davis News: Protein-Trapped Sugar Compounds Nourish Infant Gut Microbes
- UC Davis News: Gut Microbes and Milk Compounds Tackle Childhood Malnutrition
- UC Davis Medicine: Miracle Food, Unraveling the Mysteries of Mother's Milk
- UC Davis Research: Breastmilk Reveals Clues for Health
- The Davis Enterprise: Breastfeeding Saves Mothers' Lives, too
- Outcomes of Breastfeeding versus Formula Feeding
Helpful Breastfeeding Videos & Information
- A Perfect Latch (video)
- Hand Expressing Milk (video)
- Maximizing Milk Production (video)
- Breastfeeding in the First Hour (video)
- Baby Guts Benefit from B. Infantis in Mother's Milk (video)
- Breastmilk Storage and Shipping
- The Well-Fed Baby Checklist
- "Breastfeeding Q & A: What all moms should know" by Laura Kair, Medical Director of Well-newborn Care at UC Davis Children's Hospital
- Guidelines for Lactation Accommodation: summarizes UC Davis and UC Davis Health policies and guidelines for employees and supervisors
- Breastfeeding Support & Services in the Greater Sacramento Area
- Promoting and Supporting Breastfeeding through Child Care Centers brochure
- UC Davis Pregnancy and Reproductive Hazards in the Workplace:
- Disability Management Services
- UC Davis Human Lactation Center
- Facebook Support Group: for graduate, undergraduate and professional student parents
- California WIC (Women, Infants and Children) Program
- Yolo County WIC Breastfeeding Promotion and Support (warmline, pump loans, consultation)
- Foods for Health Institute
- Postpartum Resources
- Nurse Home Visiting for Pregnant and Parenting Families, provides in-home visits and support for pregnant and parenting families. Yolo County Health & Human Services Agency 530-666-8340
- Sacramento Breastfeeding Helpline: 916-734-7591
- Yolo County Breastfeeding Warmline: 1-800-663-8685 (referral to local providers)
HealthCare Provider Resources
- Kaiser Permanente, Woodland HealthCare, WIC, and Communicare provide full lactation services to their healthcare subscribers. Davis Kaiser Womens' Health, call 530-757-7210 and ask for a nurse/lactation appointment.
- UC Davis Medical Group (2620 Covell Blvd.) provides lactation group appointments.
- Sutter Health provide varied lactation services dependent upon plan.
- Woodland Healthcare New Parent Support Group
On the Web
- La Leche League International
- International Lactation Consultants Association (ICLA)
- Medela Recycles Program
- drmilk.org: specifically for breastfeeding doctors and medical students
- Milkstork: Resource for shipping breast milk during travel