COVID Operations and Fall Hiring
Due to COVID-19 guidelines, the SSO has been conducting remote video onboarding, (including verification of I-9 documents) since March 18, 2020.
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) requires original I-9 documents and in-person verification. In light of COVID-19 physical distancing requirements, DHS granted an exception that allows employers to verify I-9s remotely, with the stipulation that documents be verified in person at a future date. The current DHS exception is valid through November 19, 2020. This date is being closely monitored by UCOP, the campus and by the SSO HR Teams.
Once the campus is notified the exception is expiring, all employees whose documents were verified via video must return for in-person verification of I-9 documents.
While the plan is not yet finalized, here is what we know so far:
- Carina Ng and the SSO-HR team are finalizing the details of a plan to ensure the requirement of verifying documents is met, which may need to be done within a 3-day period.
- The teams are maintaining a master list of employees who will be contacted by the SSO with information with instructions about how to go online and schedule a short appointment with options for more than one location.
- Those who are no longer actively employed may not be required to return, they will be removed from the master list.
- SSO will notify each employee, track progress and send reminders.
- We ask that you assist us in making sure all employees make an appointment, keep the appointment, bring to the appointment the original documents they used in the video onboarding.
- Each Divisional HRBP will receive a list of affected employees in their division, for distribution to departments/supervisors.
- The SSO will ensure adequate resources so the verification can be done within the required 3-day period.
- Planning ahead, the SSO has started to work with new hires to offer the option to have the documents verified using remote verification. The employee can designate a neighbor, roommate or someone they trust to complete the physical verification on behalf of the SSO.
- Employees who are able to use this option will not be required to return for in-person verification due to our remote nature.