Celebrate your family during Take our Daughters and Sons to Work Day
Take our Daughters and Sons to Work Day (TODS) is an annual national celebration of employers hosting children at their workplace. Designed to be more than a career day, we like to think of it as a family-oriented “mini Picnic Day” just for kids, age 6-12. Younger children are not completely excluded, however, as some of the open house activities such as lunch at the dining hall, watching the Chemistry Show, visiting Bee Haven and the Bohart Museum can be great activities for those under six.
TODS not only exposes girls and boys to what a parent or mentor does during their workday, but shows children the value of their education and provides an opportunity to share how they envision their future and begin steps toward their goals in a hands-on and interactive environment. Kids will have the opportunity to see how our UC Davis community functions, instructs, learns and grows.
UC Davis TODS is Thursday, April 26th, 2018.
- AGGIE FOOTBALL STADIUM
- From 3:00-5:00 we will have open atlatl spear tossing and Peruvian slingshots on the Young Hall grass. From 1:00-4:00 there will be wall displays, cookies from different countries and coloring in room 330 Young Hall. Come join us for some fun!
- ANTHROPOLOGY CANADIAN INUIT PRINTMAKING
- Explore the current exhibit, Canadian Inuit Art Collection, and see a demonstration of the printmaking process. Two sessions, enrollment required. 3:00-3:30 and 3:30-4:00.
- BEE HAVEN
- The Haven is a great place to bring your family for lunch. Stop by between 11:30 and 1:30 to learn more about the amazing bees and the plants that support them. Docents will be on hand to guide informal tours, bee watching (including an observation beehive) and bee identification. We'll also have tools on hand for 'catch and release' bee viewing so visitors can safely view live bees up close.
- BOHART MUSEUM OF ENTOMOLOGY
- Curious about who studies insects and why? Visit the Bohart Museum of Entomology, part of the Department of Entomology! TODS participants are welcome to come by to explore the displays and hold live insects. The Bohart Museum will have open hours for TODS from 1:00-5:00.
- BOTANICAL CONSERVATORY
- Form and function of plants from the world’s deserts, tropical forests, and carnivorous habitats are emphasized along with plant interactions with insects and other organisms. Location: Botanical Conservatory Headhouse at North end of Conservatory (middle greenhouse) North of Storer Hall. Open house from 9:00-5:00. Tour at 2:00, enrollment required.
- CHEMISTRY SHOW
- A mini version of the Chemistry club's annual Picnic Day Show. The Show consists of demonstrations that bring the amazing world of chemistry to participants. Trust us, you'll be awestruck. The show lasts 30 minutes and will be in the Chemistry courtyard. Come early to get a seat! 1:05-1:40. Rain cancels the show.
- CONFUCIUS INSTITUTE
- Learn the art of calligraphy and some easy Chinese crafts, including paper-cutting, lantern-making, and Beijing Opera Masks. Explore Chinese culture through sampling Chinese tea and snacks and learn how to kick a Chinese shuttlecock! 3013 Wickson Hall, Open house 2:00-4:00.
- DAIRY BARN
- MOOOO! Everyone knows UC Davis has cows but here’s a chance to get an up close and personal look at the bovines at the Dairy Barn. Participants are reminded to stay with their guide at all times while at the barn. Meet at the parking lot behind the dairy. For their health and safety, keep in mind that you are not allowed to touch the beautiful bovines (especially the babies!). Tours at 2:00-2:45 and 3:00-3:45. Enrollment required.
- DESIGN MUSEUM
- Open 12:00-4:00. Self-guided. 124 Cruess Hall. LINK
- FIRE STATION
- Join us for a tour of the UC Davis Fire Station #34, meet our Campus Firefighters and join in some activities that Firefighters do every day- like putting on turnouts and using a fire hose. 10:00-10:45.
- FUTURE ENGINEERS UNITE!!
- Come to the Engineering Student Design Center 1220 Bainer Hall (north wing of Bainer on the east end) There will be Gyroscope Wars. Come and see who can spin a gyroscope the longest. Have you ever seen a 3-D printer in action? We have six. Who needs a Light Saber went you can cut with a Laser. 10am to 2pm Open House.
- GORMAN MUSEUM
- Open 12:00-5:00. Self-guided. 1316 Hart Hall. LINK
- MANETTI SHREM MUSEUM OPEN HOUSE
- The museum is open from 12:00-6:00 for viewing the three exhibitions: Wayne Thiebaud 1958-1968; Tacita Dean: Day for Night; Welcome?
- MANETTI SHREM MUSEUM PRINTMAKING
- Visitors will create a simple printing block and experiment with printing inks and rollers in the Art Studio Lab. 4:00 Enrollment required.
- BE A STAR AT MONDAVI CENTER
- Ever wonder what goes on backstage at the Mondavi Center? Here’s your chance to learn about Jackson Hall, for a look behind the scenes! Check out the light lab/interactive activity, walk through the Williams Green Room where the artists hang out before the show, and bring home a nifty sun catcher that looks like a stage light! You can even have a photo of yourself relaxing in the dressing room with a snack in true Star Style! Participate in an instrument petting zoo, and get acquainted with the most star-studded place in Davis. Open house from 1:00am – 5:00pm, enter the main lobby of the Mondavi Center.
- MUSEUM OF WILDLIFE AND FISH BIOLOGY
- How do scientists study wild animals and conservation issues? Visit the Department of Wildlife, Fish, and Conservation Biology and take a tour of the Museum of Wildlife and Fish Biology! Get a sneak peek at the fish, bird, reptile/amphibian and mammal collections where you’ll see real specimens of animals, including study skins, skeletons, fluid preserved, nests, and eggs from around the world. Tours will start at 1:00, 2:00, 3:00 and 4:00pm, and last approximately 40 min. Meet in the east side of the Academic Surge Building in the main hallway under the wildlife banners. Enrollment required.
- POLICE DEPARTMENT
- A tour of the Police Department starting with a special hello from our Chief of Police. We will visit our fingerprinting technician for your thumbprint that you can take home with you. An officer will be available on the tour for any questions and answers, and to show a patrol car with all of its gadgets. 11:00-11:45
- RAPTOR CENTER
- The CRC is open for self-guided tours during all hours of operation. Our non-releasable raptors are on the tour route, with informative placards describing each bird and its personal story. The museum is also open for self-guided tour visitors from 9:00-4:00. There is no charge for parking. Please keep self-guided tour groups to 6 people or fewer to minimize stress to the birds.
- RATS IN RESEARCH
- Working with rats is fun. They enjoy a nice massage while being handled. Rats have helped us study many diseases and treatments which have helped people and other animals live longer and healthier lives. Come to rat handling class to learn ways to work with rats that make them more comfortable and provide them with the best care we can so they can help us find cures and treatments for many diseases. 2:00-2:45 and 3:00-3:45. Enrollment required.
- ROBERT MONDAVI INSTITUTE FOR WINE AND FOOD SCIENCE: Honey Tasting and Tour
- Do you love honey and wonder how it gets made? Start with a honey tasting in the foyer of the Sensory Building, make a Bee spoon or 3-D Bee bookmark and then take a short tour of the Good Life Garden. Once in the garden, we will talk about how bees gather pollen and nectar and create golden honey. Come and get an inside look at what happens at the Robert Mondavi Institute for Wine and Food Science! 10:00-10:45 Meet at the RMI Sensory Building Foyer. Enrollment required.
- SEGUNDO/TERCERO/CUARTO DINING HALLS
- Have lunch like a student! TODS participants are invited to have lunch at one of the Dining Halls—they’re not like they used to be, they resemble a really cool food court now. Special for TODS day, kids can get a $2.00 lunch. We will send all registered TODS participants the link to the coupon by Monday, April 23 that can be presented at the checkstand for the discount. Lunch is from 11am – 2pm at all three dining rooms – Segundo, Tercero and Cuarto. The menu features all you care to eat soup and salad bar, grill items, entrees and desserts.
- TINY WORLD OF MICROSCOPES
- Drop by and see what a scientist sees when she looks into a microscope. View microscopic organisms that wiggle on the slide as well as every day articles from your own pocket. Our own Microscope Services staff will be on hand to discuss the various parts of microscopes and tell you about the different types of microscopes that are used on campus too. Hutchison Hall Room 0005, Basement on East Side. Open House 10:00-12:00, bring cool stuff to look at up close!
- UC Davis ART IN PUBLIC PLACES
- Self-guided. Art in public places enhances the beauty of our campus for students, faculty, staff, and visitors, and they also convey the emotional power and spiritual values of art itself to every student, no matter his or her course of study or discipline. Art in public places are central to the experience of UC Davis. LINK
- Tour the Unitrans Maintenance Facility and go for a ride on one of the double deckers! See how those great London buses make the University GO! Meet at the Maintenance facility on Garrod Road. 12:00-12:45. Enrollment required.
- VEGETABLE CROPS AND GREENHOUSES
- Come see what it is like to work at the Greenhouses. Learn about growing of vegetable transplants. What are the best kinds of tomatoes, peppers, melons to grow in the back yard in the local region? What do I need to have a career in working greenhouse industry? Talk with students who are working in the greenhouses. Come and plant vegetables to take home with you!! OVERVIEW: CA&ES has 152 Greenhouses on the UC Davis Campus. The greenhouses work on over 100 research and teaching projects related to Plants, Insects, Plant diseases and ecology!! DIRECTIONS: Go to the core greenhouses located in the Bowley Plant Sciences Teaching facility. Parking is on the west side of the ‘Core Headhouse’. Open Tours at 1:00-1:45 and 2:00-2:45
- VETERINARY MEDICAL TEACHING HOSPITAL (VMTH)
- Age 10+. The tour of the Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital includes both the small and large animal clinics and will give you an opportunity to see the workings of an animal hospital. You won’t see many animals, however, because they are being treated for an illness. 12:30-2:00 and 2:00-3:30 tour. Enrollment required.
- YOUNG SCIENTIST PROGRAM
- All ages welcome to the Young Scientist Program's Biological Science and Research Fair. Come get up close and personal with our favorite model organisms! From flies to hydra - learn how model organisms help our researchers understand human health and disease. 1:00-3:00 Life Science Addition Courtyard (between Briggs Hall and Life Science Addition Building).
This event is for staff, faculty, students and their youth guests. Participating employees should coordinate with their supervisor to ensure coverage for operational needs. Release time is appropriate with supervisory approval.
100% of participants surveyed said that they would recommend this event to their fellow employees.
For 2018, we are switching to a lottery system to minimize stress and make the process as equitable as possible. Please remember, most activities do not require specific enrollment, just enrollment in the overall day.
You can simply register for the overall day and provide an email contact. In addition, you may choose (in the same form) to be in the lottery system for specific events that require enrollment - these nine events are:
- Dairy Barn
- Botanical Conservatory Tour
- Honey and Wine
- Inuit Printmaking
- MWFB, Rats
- Manetti Shrem Museum
On Tuesday, April 24, we will email all registrants their discounted child lunch ticket code and indicate if they were chosen in the lottery for an enrollment event. The new system does not require a Kerberos, however please note the event is limited to UC Davis employees and their child guests. Please respect listed age limitations, particularly for enrollment events.
Please notify us by 9:00am Thursday, April 26th at firstname.lastname@example.org if you will not be able to attend an RSVP event, so we can pull from the waitlist. New this year, based on 2017 participant feedback, no-shows for an enrollment-required event will be excluded from the lottery system for 2019 enrollment events. We are aiming to minimize no-shows.
TODS at UC Davis Health
The Take Our Children and Sons To Work Day event at UC Davis Sacramento Campus has been postponed due to the extended flu outbreak this season. New information will be sent as soon as it becomes available. Please keep checking The Insider for updates.