Celebrate Your Family During Take our Children to Work Day
SAVE THE DATE: Thursday, April 25, 2024 Davis Campus
Take Our Children to Work Day is an annual national celebration on the 4th Thursday of April of employers hosting children at their workplace. Our celebration is designed to be more than a career day, we like to think of it as a family-oriented “mini Picnic Day”.
The day not only exposes kids to what a parent or mentor does during their workday but shows children the value of their education and provides an opportunity to share how they envision their future and begin steps toward their goals in a hands-on and interactive environment. Kids will have the opportunity to see how our UC Davis community functions, instructs, learns and grows. The day is open to all UC Davis employees but WorkLife only manages this celebration on the Davis campus.
2024 PROGRAM - UNDER CONSTRUCTION!
We are still finalizing the list of activities for our 2024 TAKE OUR CHILDREN TO WORK DAY.
As events are confirmed they will be listed below.
There are two components of the day, OPEN HOUSE activities, and LOTTERY activities.
Please read through all activity descriptions below for all age restrictions.
LOTTERY REQUESTS AND REGISTRATION FOR THE DAY will open two weeks prior to TOCs (Monday, April 8, 2024).
One of our Open House opportunities, is to eat lunch at the dining commons, and a DISCOUNTED LUNCH COUPON will be emailed to everyone who is registered on Wednesday, April 24, 2024.
It will also be linked below. Please print one for each child 12 years of age and younger.
Discounted Lunch Coupon
Once available, please see the end of our webpage for:
- A printable Schedule (coming soon)
- A link to a Google Map of all events (coming soon)
- "Frequently Asked Questions" (FAQs)
- The video of last year's celebration!
Please send all inquiries about Take Our Children to Work to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2024 Events (listed alphabetically)
As events are confirmed this list will be updated:
- Aggie Athletics: Football Clinic (Ages 5-13) - OPEN HOUSE; 10am-11am
- See what it’s like to be an Aggie Football Player! Run through the tunnel to the field to participate in drills with some of our own Aggie football players and coaches. We’ll finish up with coach pep talk out on the field. Meet in front of the ticket office at UC Davis Health Stadium at 10am.
- Aggie Athletics: Gymnastics (Ages 12 and under) - OPEN HOUSE; 11am-12pm
- Experience UC Davis Gymnastics! Meet and work with members of the gymnastics team and coaching staff. Jump into the foam pit, walk down the beam, swing on the bars, and tumble across the floor. See you in Lower Hickey Gym at 11am!
- Details to follow soon!
- Bohart Museum of Entomology (All Ages Welcome) - OPEN HOUSE; 9am-12pm and 1pm-5pm
- Curious about who studies insects and arachnids and why? Visit the Bohart Museum of Entomology, part of the Department of Entomology and Nematology! TOCS participants are welcome to come by to explore the displays and hold live insects. The Bohart Museum will have Open House hours for TOCS from 9:00am-12:00pm AND 1:00pm-5:00pm.
- Botanical Conservatory (All Ages Welcome) - OPEN HOUSE; 10am-4pm
- Form and function of plants from the world’s deserts, tropical forests, and carnivorous habitats are emphasized along with plant interactions with insects and other organisms. Location: Botanical Conservatory Headhouse at North end of Conservatory (middle greenhouse) North of Storer Hall. Open house from 10:00am-4:00pm.
- California Raptor Center (Ages 6+) - OPEN HOUSE; 9am-4pm
The CRC is open for self-guided tours from 9am - 4pm. (https://crc.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/) The Center's non-releasable raptors are on the outdoor tour route, with informative placards at each exhibit describing the bird, its backstory, and the natural history of its species. The small on-site museum is open as well with viewable taxidermy and interactive raptor-related activities. There is no charge for parking. Please keep self-guided tour groups to 6 people or fewer to minimize stress to the birds. To protect the Center's birds from Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza, please walk through the sanitizing footbath at the entrance of the facility when you arrive.
- Campus Recreation
- Details to follow soon!
- Chemistry Show (All Ages Welcome) - OPEN HOUSE; 11am
- A mini version of the Chemistry club's annual Picnic Day Show. The Show consists of demonstrations that showcase chemistry as the science of change. Trust us, you'll be awestruck. The show will begin at 11am and last 30 minutes. The location will be announced as soon as it has been confirmed. Rain cancels the show.
- Citris Operations
- Details to follow soon!
- Dairy Barn (All Ages Welcome) - LOTTERY REQUEST
- MOOOO! Everyone knows UC Davis has cows but here’s a chance to get an up close and personal look at the bovines at the Dairy Barn. Tours from 2:00-2:45, 3:00-3:45 and 4:00-4:45. LOTTERY NOTIFICATION REQUIRED
- DataLab: Data Science and Informatics (See description for Age Restrictions) - OPEN HOUSE; 9am-11am
- Explore Augmented & Virtual Reality at DataLab. Future scientists! Come explore how we develop and use Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR) for research and teaching. Make mountains in our AR Sandbox and see what happens when it rains -- or a volcano explodes (ages 6+)! Then go on a virtual hike of your landscape in VR (ages 13+). Learn about coding and coordinates as you draw and color alongside our team of data scientists (all ages). Visit us on the 3rd floor of Shields Library, near room 360. More information can be found on our website: datalab.ucdavis.edu.
- DVM: Anatomy Lab (Ages 10+) - OPEN HOUSE; 9am-12pm
- Have you ever wondered...How big is an Elephant Skull? How tall is an Ostrich? Or, how big is a Galapagos Turtle Shell? Come on by the Anatomy Department (located at Vet Med 3A, Room 1215), and get an up close and personal view of our collection of skeletons and other various specimens. Open house from 9am-12pm.
- Engineering Student Design Center (All Ages Welcome) - OPEN HOUSE; 10am-2pm
- Future Engineers, Designers, and Creatives Unite! Have you ever seen a 3-D printer in action? We are sure these are the "droids" you are looking for. Who needs a Light Saber when you can cut with a Laser! Come check our our NEW Engineering Student Design Center in 1500 Bainer Hall (access from the East side of the Bainer North wing). Open House from 10am-2pm.
- Facilities Management/Fleet Services (Ages 5+) - LOTTERY REQUEST
- Come join the excitement at Facilities Management as we embark on a thrilling journey to discover the secrets of working safely! Each participant will be decked out in their very own awesome safety gear! This engaging and educational activity is set from 1:00pm to 1:45pm, and tailored for the young adventurers aged 5 and above. Don't miss out on the fun! LOTTERY NOTIFICATION REQUIRED
- Fire Station (All Ages Welcome) - OPEN HOUSE; 10am-12pm
- Join us for a tour of the UC Davis Fire Station #34, meet our Campus Firefighters and join in some activities that Firefighters do every day- like putting on turnouts and using a fire hose. You can even watch a Student Resident Firefighter use the station pole! Open House from 10am-12pm.
- Goat Barn (Ages 4+) - LOTTERY REQUEST
- Bring your kids to meet our kids! Visit the Goat Barn for a goat milking demonstration, brief tour, and the chance to meet goat kids. Tours at 10am and 11am. LOTTERY NOTIFICATION REQUIRED
- Gorman Museum of Native American Art (All Ages Welcome) - OPEN HOUSE; 11am-5pm
- Self-guided tours. Visit the museum website to learn about the current exhibits. Museum is open from 11am-5pm.
- Linguistics (Ages 7-12) - LOTTERY REQUEST
- Participate in a real speech science experiment! Have you ever wondered how you’re able to understand speech? Or how your mouth and tongue coordinate to produce it? Come to the UC Davis Phonetics Lab to directly participate in a real speech science experiment (ages 7-12). The appointment is for 45 minutes: the experiment will take about 5 minutes. After, you'll see a short presentation on our research and have time for kids (and adults!) to ask questions and get a tour of the lab. Participation in the experiment is voluntary; the study has been approved by the UC Davis Institutional Review Board (IRB) ethics committee. For more information about consent, TIMES TO BE DETERMINED, LOTTERY NOTIFICATION REQUIRED.
- Manetti Shrem Museum
- Details to follow soon!
- Museum of Wildlife and Fish Biology (Ages 6+) - LOTTERY REQUEST
- How do scientists’ study wild animals and conservation issues? Take a tour of the Museum of Wildlife and Fish Biology to get a sneak peek at the research collections of birds, mammals, fish, reptiles, and amphibians. You’ll see real specimens (study skins, fluid-preserved, eggs, nests, and skeletons) of species that occur around the world. Check us out before TOC to Work Day at https://mwfb.ucdavis.edu/ 45 minute tours at 9am, 10am, 11am and 12pm. LOTTERY NOTIFICATION REQUIRED.
- One Health Institute (All Ages Welcome) - OPEN HOUSE; 10am-3pm
- Come join us in the Vet Med 3B Lobby from 10am-3pm to learn more about the different programs within the One Health Institute. Kids will get a chance to “travel” from one table to another and learn about exciting science through hands-on activities such as leaning about how southern sea otters stay warm in cold waters, an up-close look at bird feather structure and how oil disrupts this structure, and helping take care of animals in disasters such as wildfires.
- Police Department (All Ages Welcome) - OPEN HOUSE; 11am-1pm
- A tour of the Police Department starting with a special hello from our Chief of Police. We will visit our fingerprinting technician for your thumbprint that you can take home with you. An officer will be available on the tour for any questions and answers, and to show a patrol car with all of its gadgets. Open house from 11am-1pm.
- Rats in Research (Ages 8+) - LOTTERY REQUEST
- Working with rats is fun. They enjoy a nice massage while being handled. Rats have helped us study many diseases and treatments which have helped people and other animals live longer and healthier lives. Come to rat handling class to learn ways to work with rats that make them more comfortable and provide them with the best care we can so they can help us find cures and treatments for many diseases. 2pm and 3pm. LOTTERY NOTIFICATION IS REQUIRED.
- Residential Dining (All Ages Welcome) - OPEN HOUSE; 11am-2pm
- Have lunch like a student! TOCS participants are invited to have lunch at one of the Dining Halls—they’re not like they used to be, they resemble a really cool food court now. The menu features all you care to eat soup and salad bar, grill items, entrees and desserts.
Special for TOCS day, kids up to age 12 can get a $2.00 lunch. We will send all registered TOCS participants a link to the coupon on Wednesday, April 25 that can be presented at the checkstand for the discount. Lunch is from 11am – 2pm at all three dining rooms – Segundo, Tercero, Cuarto PLUS Latitude.
- Sheep Mowers
- Details to follow soon!
- Swine Barn (All Ages Welcome) - LOTTERY REQUEST
Come visit and tour the UC Davis Swine Facility! For over 20 years, the UC Davis Swine facility has been the premier collegiate swine facility in California for student learning and research. Our herd consists of 65 sows with all aspects of production: farrowing, nursery, finisher, and gestation. While our main purpose is to facilitate teaching and research, we also have other niche markets in the community as well.
Maintaining the health of our herd is VERY important at the swine facility. We ask that ALL visitors have at least 24 hours away from any swine contact-including pet pigs and any international travelers/visitors need at least 7 days in the U.S. with no other swine contact before entering the facility. Closed toed shoes and long pants are required. Shoe covers will be provided. Tour at 10am. LOTTERY NOTIFICATION REQUIRED.
- Tiny World of Microscopes (Ages 6+) - OPEN HOUSE; 9am-12pm
Come see what a scientist sees when they peer into the eyepieces of a microscope. Look at microscopic organisms that swim around on the slide with a compound microscope. Admire the detailed surfaces of insects, plants, and everyday items with a stereo microscope. Microscope Services staff and assistants will be available to discuss the different types of rental microscopes that we offer for teaching, research, and clinical applications.
We’ll have an assortment of specimens to look at, including live ladybugs! Visitors are welcome to bring items from home to look at up-close.
Come find us inside the campus Scientific Store at 650 La Rue Rd, south of the Tercero Residence Halls and Visitor Parking Lot 47. Open House from 9am-12pm.
- UC Davis Arts in Public Places (All Ages Welcome)
Art in public places enhances the beauty of our campus for students, faculty, staff, and visitors, and they also convey the emotional power and spiritual values of art itself to every student, no matter his or her course of study or discipline. Art in public places are central to the experience of UC Davis. View Guidebook Here.
- Unitrans (Ages 5+) - LOTTERY REQUEST
- Tour the Unitrans Maintenance Facility and go for a ride on one of the busses! See how those great London buses make the University GO! Tour from 12:00-12:45pm. LOTTERY NOTIFICATION REQUIRED.
- Vegetable Crops and Greenhouses (All Ages Welcome) - OPEN HOUSE; 11am & 12pm tours
- Come see our new greenhouses! CA&ES has over 120 Greenhouses and related facilities on the UC Davis Campus. The greenhouses serves over 100 research and teaching projects related to plants including, plant breeding, insects, plant diseases and ecology!!
DIRECTIONS: Go to the Core Greenhouses located next to the Bowley Plant Sciences Teaching Facility. Parking is located on the west side of the ‘Core Headhouse’. Open Tours at 11am and 12pm.
- Veterinary Genetics Lab (Ages 10+) - LOTTERY REQUEST
- Are you interested in genetics? Have you ever wondered what DNA looks like? Come talk to the Veterinary Genetics Laboratory team to learn about animal genetics and how genetic testing can improve animal health. After a short discussion, you will get a chance to isolate and look at DNA from strawberries! Sessions will be held at 10am AND 11am. LOTTERY NOTIFICATION REQUIRED.
- Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital (Ages 10+) - LOTTERY REQUEST
- The tour of the Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital includes both the small and large animal clinics and will give you an opportunity to see the workings of an animal hospital. You won’t see many animals, however, because they are being treated for an illness. Tours at 9am, 10am and 1pm, last an hour and a half hours. Tour at 4pm will last one hour. LOTTERY NOTIFICATION REQUIRED.
- Veterinary Med: Anatomy, Physiology and Cell Biology (Ages 7+) - LOTTERY REQUEST
- Come meet Chonk the Axolotl! Discover these amazing and adorable animals that you may have seen in Pokémon and Minecraft and learn about how they are helping researchers understand stem cells and regeneration. Spend some time creating your own axolotl art and crafts to take home. Sessions at 10am and 11am. LOTTERY NOTIFICATION REQUIRED.
- Youth Programs
- Details to follow soon!
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the child's age range for this event?
- While the national program is geared towards children aged 6-12, our campus event is open to all ages. Please see event listings above for more specific age range for each activity offered and plan accordingly.
- Do I need to take the day off to participate in this event?
- Participating employees should coordinate with their supervisors for time away to ensure coverage for operational needs. Limited release time is appropriate with supervisory approval.
- How does this event work with my child's school schedule?
- You may need to check your child out of school early to participate in some activities.
- If randomly selected for an LOTTERY event, what happens if I "No-Show" the activity?
- As our LOTTERY events are in such high demand, we need to respect the time and efforts of the units that host these activities and fill as many spots as possible. Therefore, if you "no-show" a LOTTERY event, you will not be eligible to participate in the lottery for the following TOC program. We ask that you please cancel your participation by 12pm the Wednesday before TOCs, if possible.
- What are the options for parking on campus if I don’t have a parking pass?
- AggiePark via the AMP Park app is Aggie's Pay-to-Park app and solution to your daily parking needs. Please visit the UC Davis Transportation Services website to download the app, setup your profile and learn more.