Emergency/short-term Limited Appointments temporarily fill a position when a department has a need that cannot be immediately filled through an open recruitment process or through Temporary Employment Services (TES).
- An emergency/short-term appointment is a Limited Appointment of 865 hours or less in a 12-month maximum period unless the position meets certain provisions under a collective bargaining contract. Initial requests can be established/approved in four-month increments up to 865 hours; requests for extensions will be reviewed based on the hours available within the 865 cap.
- Note: Extension requires consultation and approval by your department’s Employment Consultant/Recruiter in HR prior to finalizing extension with the employee and entering the extended date into PPS.
- Ensure you have an accurate position description ready. The position description must accurately reflect the critical functions and qualifications (skill, knowledge, ability and experience) requirements in addition to special requirements, certifications, and/or work environment, i.e. background check, medical monitoring, pre-placement physical, etc., and physical demands for proper submission. Note: no changes can be made to the position description once it has been received by HR through the PeopleAdmin system and classified by Compensation/HR.
- Identify the need for a Short-term Limited Appointment. Consideration should be given to individuals on layoff status with the department who have the qualifications and are interested in non-career appointment.
- Contact your department's Employment Consultant/Recruiter/HR to discuss the nature of the request.
- Use the PeopleAdmin system to initiate your requisition for a Short Term Limited Appointment. If you are not sure of your department number or password, contact the PeopleAdmin Help Desk.
- Provide the applicant with the PeopleAdmin Quick Link to the Short Term Limited Appointment position to permit submission of the application form as a “direct hire” using the PeopleAdmin system.
- Notify your Employment Consultant/Recruiter upon receipt of application for screening and referral.
- Notify your Employment Consultant/Recruiter upon completion and submission of hiring decision.
- Validates the job summary, qualifications (skills, knowledge, abilities, and experience) requirements, conditions of employment/work environment and physical demands in addition to overall review of the position description to determine appropriate classification prior to the department submitting requisition for short-term hire.
- Moves the position description to the department’s library in the PeopleAdmin system prior to the department submitting the requisition for a Short Term Limited Appointment.
- Contacts the department if there are questions about the classification level.
Employment Consultant/Recruiter Responsibilities:
- Reviews the short-term request and the qualifications of the direct hire.
- Contacts the department to discuss the intent for the position, duration, percentage, salary, applicable policy and/or collective bargaining contract, and any other considerations to assist with the review for approval.
- Initiates decision (approval or denial) through the PeopleAdmin system with subsequent notification to the department.
- Print the direct hire’s employment application form, obtain signature and retain at the department.