This model for differentiating academic MSO level positions for selection is all inclusive, meaning that each level builds upon the previous level and reflects increased complexity and a broader organizational view. The threshold level represents minimum competency levels required for MSO I positions.
- Knows and understands the mission of a teaching and research institution.
- Understands and effectively works within the organization's structure and politics.
- Knows the role of academic MSO and how it fits into the organization.
- Understands principles of financial systems and how to use financial information.
- Understands principles of management and human resources.
- Is resilient, flexible and persistent in approach to work.
- Works effectively in an environment in which priorities and focus change frequently.
- Uses campus resources to learn and accomplish goals.
Contains the threshold level plus:
- Understands principles of academic organizational structure and governance.
- Is knowledgeable about the organization's culture, including decision-making, collaboration, and hierarchy.
- Is knowledgeable about and can represent department area of academic discipline.
- Understands data management.
- Utilizes space effectively and creatively within context of budget and space constraints.
- Proactively looks for methods/practices to overcome obstacles and improve systems.
- Manages problems early on when solutions/options can be solved at a local level.
- Balances what needs to be done with what others want done.
Contains the operational and threshold levels plus:
- Makes connections between and among information and situations that reveal opportunities and/or challenges.
- Works with others across the organization to meet and/or improve organizational systems.
- Understands how priorities support local and organization-wide mission and goals.
- Continually scans the environment for opportunities and challenges that might affect the ways in which the department operates.
- Fosters integration of long-term organizational values with current pressing needs.