A supervisor is one of the most important positions at UC Davis, one that deserves investment and support to ensure success for both the supervisor’s career and the university’s pursuit of organizational excellence.
An effective supervisor models excellent interpersonal communication; inspires a common vision; demonstrates respect for a diverse community; encourages teamwork and collaboration; and coaches, evaluates and develops people in alignment with our university vision. A decision maker, problem solver, conflict manager, coach, motivator - these are some of the many roles a supervisor will assume. Designed for new-to-role supervisors, the UC Davis “Developing as a Supervisor” certificate integrates the essential aspects of supervision at UC Davis.
New supervisors will have eighteen months to complete this 13-course certificate series. New leads are also encouraged to complete this series.
- Principles of Supervision
- Principles of Community (choose one of the following):
- Principles of Leadership
- UC Performance Management: Performance Management Overview (eCourse)
- UC Performance Management: Setting Expectations and Individual Performance Goals (eCourse)
- UC Performance Management: Coaching for Performance and Development (eCourse)
- UC Performance Management: Conducting Performance Appraisals (eCourse)
Employee and Labor Relations
- UC Hiring for Success (eCourse)
- Managing Implicit Bias in the Hiring Process (eCourse)
- Supervising in a Union Environment
- Employment Law and Liability
- Safety Leadership for Supervisors (eCourse)
- Sexual Harassment Prevention for Supervisors (choose one of the following):