Pre-placement medical examinations are required of new hires in select positions to protect employees from possible work-related health problems and to protect the university from liability issues.
It is the department's responsibility to ensure an assessment/review by Occupational Health Services for pre-placement medical exam is completed prior to the start date for a new hire. Please contact your Employment Consultant/Recruiter in HR if you have questions about the classifications identified for pre-placement medical examination.
- Identifies position requiring pre-placement medical examination statement based upon specific payroll titles listed under policy.
- The following statement appears under "Work Environment" section of the position description in the PeopleAdmin system: "This position is subject to completion of a Pre-Placement Medical Examination provided by Occupational Health Services, given at no charge to the applicant."
- Upon selection, department schedules individual for pre-placement medical examination with Occupational Health prior to initial start date. Offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of the pre-placement medical examination process before beginning work for the university.
- If the pre-placement medical examination process is successfully completed, the department initiates the hire decision in the PeopleAdmin system following consultation as appropriate with the department's Employment Consultant/Recruiter in Human Resources.
Employment Consultant/Recruiter Responsibilities:
- The pre-placement medical examination statement is reviewed by the Employment Consultant/Recruiter for appropriateness of payroll title and pre-placement requirements.
Note: if the position also requires a background check, the background check must first clear before sending the individual to Occupational Health for a position requiring a pre-placement physical. If the individual identified for hire does not successfully complete the pre-placement medical examination process, department may consult with their Employment Consultant/Recruiter for the appeal process.