Use a Career and Professional Development Plan to chart your growth, and guide your career at UC Davis.
A well-prepared Career and Professional Development Plan links professional development goals to current and potential future roles. Use this tool to identify, organize and plan your professional development and career. Designing this plan can include occupational exploration and research, job shadowing, skills training, or formal education.
How can I benefit from a Career and Professional Development Plan?
- Focus your professional efforts and identify individual work goals.
- Communicate and plan with your supervisor or mentor.
- Help build a case when you ask for development resources (e.g., tuition assistance, release time, or training funds).
- Create an action plan for short-term and long-term goals that is clear and achievable.
Put your plan into action.
- Discuss your plan with your supervisor and other appropriate individuals such as a mentor. Use this time to state your goals, clarify expectations and agree upon modifications as needed.
- Identify your first step, and take action.
- Evaluate your plan along the way and modify it as needed. Schedule check-ins with your supervisor or mentor.
- Expect obstacles and work to overcome them.
- Celebrate your successes along the way!