UC Davis is Once Again on the Forbes List of Best Employers for Diversity
For the third year in a row, Forbes has recognized UC Davis as a national leader in workforce diversity.
Ranked No. 3 among educational institutions across the state, our efforts advancing inclusive excellence are paying off.
How Forbes Compiled Their List
Over 60,000 U.S. employees were surveyed from companies with a minimum of 1,000 employees to identify the best employers for diversity in the United States. The list ranks the 500 employers that not only received the most recommendations but also boast the most diverse boards and executive ranks and the most proactive diversity and inclusion initiatives.
The Forbes survey was based on four criteria:
- Direct recommendations: Employees were asked to give their opinions on a series of statements regarding age, gender, ethnicity, disability, LGBTQ, and general diversity in their workplace. The recommendations of women, elders, and ethnic minorities were weighted higher than the non-minority groups.
- Indirect recommendations: Participants were given the chance to evaluate other employers in their respective industries that stand out either positively or negatively with regard to diversity. Only the recommendations of minority groups were considered.
- Diversity among top executives/board members
- Diversity engagement indicators
Why We Made the List (Again!)
UC Davis’ placement on Forbes’ list reflects the hard work and dedication put towards fulfilling one of the key goals of our To Boldly Go strategic plan: to be a national role model in higher education for diversity, equity and inclusion.
UC Davis' march towards inclusive excellence is ongoing and requires our constant attention- particularly in light of the need to address implicit and explicit bias, racism and structural inequalities. I’m proud we have a long history of investing in programs, people and processes that make the university a place where everyone can prosper.”
— Chancellor Gary May
Our progress is made possible largely due to the diligent efforts of Human Resources, as well as the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Leadership Team who provides guidance to senior leadership on various issues related to diversity and inclusion- including improving diverse representation in leadership.
Check out the Top 10 Reasons Davis is the Best For Diversity to see how UC Davis continues to improve through education, training, events, community-building and other initiatives.
Why We’re Going to Make the Forbes List Next Year
As a workplace, an Anchor Institution and a community partner, UC Davis holds itself accountable to plans detailed in the Diversity & Inclusion Strategic Vision.
It’s rewarding to have Forbes confirm what we know - UC Davis is advancing equity, diversity and inclusion at all levels of our institution. And UC Davis’ placement on the list reinforces our message to employees and those thinking about joining UC Davis - you belong here!”
— Christine Lovely, Chief Human Resources Officer
To learn more about the joining UC Davis, visit the You Belong Here webpage which was recently launched in an effort to demystify the application process for future employees, providing more equitable access to all.
Some UC Davis programs that show its commitment to inclusive excellence:
- The Race Matters Initiative
- The Aggie Square Community Benefits Partnership Agreement
- The Becoming An Inclusive Leader Series: Six Key Skills for Thriving in a Diverse New World