Being both a student and a parent comes with its own set of unique challenges and responsibilities. At UC Davis, we’re here to help you navigate the many options and resources available to you.
UC Davis Resources
- Graduate Studies Resources for Graduate Students and Families:
Resources on health insurance, child care, breastfeeding support, PELP, and housing.
- Guidelines for Student Parents/Guardians with Children on Campus:
These guidelines strive to balance the needs of the student parent/guardian and offer information on bringing children to campus.
- First Year Aggie Connections:
"Using Parenting as Part of your Toolkit for Success" group. For all undergraduate first year, transfer students and parents and who are expecting.
- Breastfeeding Support Program:
For all students and staff. The program offers lactation rooms, free consults, classes, and support groups. Registration required.
- Know your Rights!:
Title IX protection for the breastfeeding student.
- The Pregnant Scholar:
Website dedicated to informing how Title IX protects student parents.
- Child Care Options:
Local options are listed including day care, sitters, after-school programs and more options for care.
- Student Parent Child Care Funding:
All campus child care grants are processed through WorkLife and Wellness. We partner with Financial Aid and Graduate Studies to provide complete packages for financial need-based and non-financial need-based care. Visit the Child Care Financial Assistance page for other options in the community and within departments for aid, scholarships, and low-cost child care.
- A Postdoc's Guide to Pregnancy and Maternity Leave:
National Postdoctoral Association
- Local Schools, Resources and Recreation Programs
- Parental Leave: Contact your hiring department staff for information.
Support and Playgroups
- Graduate, undergraduate, and professional student parents Facebook page.
A support group for graduate and professional mothers and their partners. This group also welcomes expecting mothers.
- UC Davis Health System Parent Resource Group Facebook page. This is a closed group to support faculty, staff and postgraduates trainees of the UC Davis Health System.
- Yolo Center for Families
- The New Family Financial Road Map from Mom and Dad Money
- 211 Yolo: Information on subsidies, and health and human services
- Cost of Living in Sacramento
- Finance for PhD students
- Family Budget Calculator
- Graduate Cost of Attendance
- UCD Economic Crisis Response
- UCD Family Housing Options
- UC SHIP Health Benefits Information: Medical insurance and dependent coverage
- Child Care Funding
- Child Care Financial Assistance: Options in the community and within departments for aid, scholarships, and low-cost child care
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts: Student academic employees and graduate student researchers are eligible
- VITA: Free tax preparation and assistance for UC Davis affiliates
- Food Resources for Students in and around Davis
- Student Parent Closet at WRRC: Free diapers, wipes, supplies for student parents on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 10:00 am – 12:00 pm, at the Women's Resources and Research Center on the first floor of North Hall
- Student Budgeting Calculator
- How to Pay Off Student Loans Fast: 15 Ways to Deal with Your Debt
- Student Loan Consolidation Guide
- Student Loan Calculator
- 529 Plans: Information on college savings
Places to trade/find recycled baby and child items:
Davis, Dixon and Woodland:
- Wiki Thrift Stores
- Davis Freecycle
- Davis CA Barter and Sell
- Davis Sale or Trade
- Buy and Sell in Davis
- Davis Kids2Kids
- Davis CA Online Yard Sale
- Dixon Moms and Kids Sale
- Woodland CA Freecycle