Emeritus/a Program for Staff Employees
Purpose: Conferral of emeritus/a status is an honor granted by the chancellor upon retirement of a University of California, Davis employee who has provided outstanding service to the university.
Eligibility: Non-academic nominees who hold Management and Senior Professional, Grade III or above, or Senior Management Group positions.
Criteria: The following criteria will be used to determine whether a nominee shall be granted emeritus/a status:
- At least ten years of service;
- Service at the time of retirement in a position assigned to Management and Senior Professional Grade III or above, or a position at any grade of the Senior Management Group;
- Extraordinary and meritorious contributions to the fulfillment of the mission and programs of the university; and
- Recognition from outside the University of California of noteworthy contributions to the nominee’s professional field.
Process: A recommendation for emeritus/a status shall be made to the chancellor using the Staff Emeritus/a Nomination Form. The nomination normally shall be submitted three months prior to the date of the nominee's retirement. A nomination can be submitted by an individual or by a recognized campus group or committee.The nominator(s) must complete the nomination form including the following information:
- the nominee's date of retirement
- a brief history of university employment, and a detailed description of how the criteria, set forth above, have been fulfilled.
These nominations/recommendations will first be sent to the current Staff Assembly Chair for review by the Staff Assembly Executive Committee. The Staff Assembly Chair will then forward the nomination, along with a recommendation of the Staff Assembly to the Chancellor.
The Davis campus Staff Assembly reviews nominations for employees based out of Davis and remote UC Davis locations that are not UC Davis Health related. UC Davis Health reviews nomination for health employees. Staff Assembly committees shall provide feedback on the nomination and shall advise the Chancellor on conferral of the emeritus/a title. The Chancellor shall consider the Staff Assembly's recommendation in determining whether emeritus/a status should be granted to the nominee. If emeritis/a status is approved by the Chancellor, the Chancellor shall notify the Staff Assembly Chair who will send a formal letter notifying the appointee concerning his/her approval of the emeritus/a title and its effective date.
Following approval by the Chancellor, a change to emeritus/a status shall be implemented in the payrol/personnel system. The Staff Assembly Chair will coordinate with the appointee's home department or the Shared Services Center (SSC) to make this adjustment in the payroll system. The title code should be changed to "9902" for "Staff Emeritus." For Senior Management Group (SMG) employees, please consult with the SMG Coordinator to obtain the appropriate title code.
Following approval by the chancellor, a change to emeritus/a status shall be implemented in the payroll/personnel system.
Benefits of Emeritus/a Status: All UC Davis retirees receive several benefits, including:
- Pension and health and welfare benefits
- A complimentary retiree parking permit (issued biennially)
- A Retiree AggieCard - provides discounts to Department of Campus Recreation, Mondavi, and athletic programs and events
For staff who are granted emeritus/a status, in addition to the recognition provided by the chancellor, additional benefits include:
- Maintenance of one’s UC Davis e-mail address
- Lifetime UC Davis library privileges
- Eligibility to join the UC Davis Emeriti Association – membership includes discounts to UC Davis Retiree Center events and complimentary membership to the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI)